Monday, April 22, 2019

Teaching My German Shepherd to go "Outside"


When you bring your puppy home they do not understand the concept of going outside to use the restroom because at their old home they never had to do that and they are learning everything around them.Once we got home I walked her and as soon as we stepped inside she peed. At this point I was frustrated but I said “no” and took her outside right after this happened. I did this multiple times to make sure she knew that we should be outside before she pees. After about a week of working on this I started introducing "outside". I would go to the door grab her leash and we would walk outside until she used the restroom. After doing this successfully for 3 days with no accidents inside I decided to take it to the next step. When my dog Kawi would start sniffing the floor I would say “outside?” And she started going to the door to wait for me. This worked for a few days until I got confident in her and she had another accident. This is when I realized that I needed to be much more repetitive with her so she understood. After about 2 weeks of doing this method she did not have anymore accidents inside. Also when she is outside a good idea is to always make it fun. When she was on a leash we would play fetch as good as we can (due to her being on a leash) and I would run with her around the property. Making outside fun is a good way to have your dog want to go outside when they need to go to the bathroom. They know after they will get to play! While this is a good incentive it can make your dog want to be outside a lot which is never a bad thing. Getting outside is always a good thing just sometimes when it is cold we do not want to go outside like our furry friends do. Just make sure you bundle up and get outside and have fun with them. My German Shepherd love snow and cold weather. Her limit is she will not want to go outside if it is under 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Outside is a great overall command for the restroom for your dog and to symbolize play, I think that it is a great way to bond with your dog and to get outside and be active.

No comments:

Post a Comment