Monday, April 22, 2019

First Time Going into Town

The second week I had Kawi I had read from multiple sources that you want to associate your dog with people and other dogs. You also want to have positive experiences for your dog so they are comfortable with other people and dogs. When we first arrived at the park at Cambridge Kawi was exploring her surroundings as any dog would. We then got close to some kids and Kawi because very excited with the noises that the kids were making. One of the children saw my dog and ran over, she got scared and barked and tried to run away from the kid. A mother and her children walked up and Kawi was fine. I was glad she got to experience this because she realized that not all people would scare her after the kid ran up to us. As we continued to walk more, more people were also out walking. She was the hot topic for the day. Everyone would come up and talk to me about her and love playing with her. Kawi was excited with people but finally got to meet another dog. She got to meet another female German Shepherd, they looked very similar and the older Shepard was very nice and played gentle with Kawi. Kawi also got to experience another dog being dominant which was good she was very submissive and got to learn how other dogs were. At the end of the day Kawi got to have a great experience with other dogs and people and I feel these moments shaped her for later down the road. After being at the park and meeting other dogs and people I decided that I would finish her day up at Tractor Supply. When we walked into Tractor Supply for the first time she was the center of attention. Everyone wanted to pet her and asked what breed she was. She also got a free pig ear from the register which she absolutely loved. While we were walking around the store she was intrigued by all the smells and the people around her. In the back of the store I saw that there was a pet wash station so I decided to take advantage of it and get her used to running water over her. As I turned the water on she started to lap it and I slowly moved it over her back. She loved the water running over her. She got so excited and wanted to play and this made me excited for the summer that is going to come to get her out in the water and let her play. My family and I have never had a dog that has liked water so it will be a new and great experience for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment