Monday, April 22, 2019

My German Shepherd and Drinking Water


When getting my German Shepherd the place I bought her from suggested that I have a method for when she is drinking to avoid having water come out of their mouths and onto the floor. At first I didn’t think much of this and thought she is just a puppy this will stop, and it hasn’t. When she walks away from the water bowl you might as well have paper towels on standby. There will be a puddle of water on the floor that she did not mean to make but it just appears. I was told to make her water bowl hard to get to. I decided that I would try and put the bowl in a corner… Which did NOT work. She would just back away from the corner as quick as she could. I then did some research and found that another way that people use is to put the bowl under a chair that way they can not raise up as fast. This worked like a charm and now she barely rarely can spill any water. It is also better for her being able to drink the right amount that she needs without losing the majority of it out of her mouth. When my puppy learned that water was fun to her to play with with her feet it opened a whole new world to her. She would spill the water bowl consistently and would cause me to have to clean up after her all the time. This became very annoying overtime due to her never drinking any water and me filling it because she needed to drink water. I found the only way to break her of doing this was to state no and give her an alternative to use which I used a lot in my later training with her. After she understood that water was not meant to be dumped out on the floor the battle with water was over for now. For any German Shepherd owners I am no expert but if your dog is losing lots of water out of their mouth try to put it under a chair. It will not work for everyone, but it could work for some and it creates a lot less of a hassle of cleaning up after your German Shepherd. Since they are such smart dogs they should pick up on drinking slower and lifting up slower fairly quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment