Monday, April 22, 2019

First Week at Home with a German Shepherd Puppy


The first week with having a German Shepard was about building trust and teaching her that everything is not not a chew toy. She was shy around me and very observant of what I was doing. If I was carrying something she would get to the side and be scared. The first week I encounter a couple issues with her. One was using the restroom inside which would only take some light training to correct, and she treated everything as a chew toy. The first week was a great time to get close to her. I would be with her whenever I got a chance. I am a college student and commute so I decided I could balance having a dog and school. I chose to get her over our winter break and this was because I could have enough time to teach her and get her to trust me along with having her trained to not go to the bathroom inside. The first week of having my dog Kawi when she was excited she would not let you pet her. She would try to bite your hand. This was a time when she learned the command “no” there were a numerous number of times when I would have to say no to biting and try to find ways to let her know that pets don’t always mean playtime. The best way I found to teach her to not bite hands was whenever she would start playing and go after a hand you give them a toy. This took the first whole week and some more for Kawi to realize that she should not bite hands. I also got her her a few puppy chew toys that helped her with teething and made her not want to go after hands as much. While the first week was a lot of work it was a great time with her. I felt our bond grow and I knew that she was going to be a great addition to the family. The first week at home I could take her outside without a leash when she wanted to go out. At the end of the first week she got excited and tried to run away from me so I then put her back on the leash to avoid this happening in the future. By the end of the first week the rest of the family had got accustomed to her and really enjoyed her company.  

No comments:

Post a Comment