Monday, April 22, 2019

Choosing a German Shepherd

When choosing a German Shepard puppy you want one that is confident, but not over aggressively jumping all over you. You want a puppy that will come up to you and is not so shy that it will not come close to you. If a puppy stays in the corner normally it is not a good choice for a dog, but there are exceptions. German shepherds are known for their loyalty to one person. This is why getting the puppy you want is essential from the start. After about two weeks of owning the puppy it will not leave your side and is always looking for you to be there with them. This is when the bonding and training start to go much more fast paced. When choosing a German Shepard puppy you should also take in account their mom and dad. You want both of the dogs to be mellow but listen well. Although this does not make or break what the puppy will be like it is an indication of what could happen. In my case the mother was very loving to everyone and would never hurt a fly, but the father did not like men (except for his owner) and the male loved kids and babies. The male (father) also liked females and would go near to them and wag his tail signaling to be petted. This is when I knew I found the litter I wanted and the puppy that came to me is the one I chose. The place where I got her the people were very thorough at explaining how to make the process easier of getting her accustomed to a different home and some of the best ways they have found to train their dogs. Also they had suggested a prong leash that I did not think was going to be necessary to teach my dog how to be on a leash. Being able to get all of this info was very helpful for me to be able to talk to someone very knowledgeable about German shepherds shaped the way I would train my puppy after I got her home and was able to work with her. I ended choosing a short-medium hair that was brown and black with a black face that I named Kawi. The mother and father were both Sable German shepherds so I was hoping she would turn into a sable color also as she got older.

No comments:

Post a Comment